It's been something that I've been "thinking" about, and in my head I'm ready to do something about it, but quite frankly, the idea of trying to implement a new "system" in our home just fully overwhelms me. So, like I usually do when I'm overwhelmed, I avoid it. Well, not totally. I do lots of research about it, pin lots of things on pinterest about it, look things up on google, get lots of other peoples ideas of how to do it, and then after having a TON of ideas... I am so overwhelmed that I don't want to think about it anymore. Yikes. This is not my favorite part about myself. :)
Anyways, my friend Chelsea, who has 5 kids of her own and homeschools them, posted an article about raising children to become responsible, I had to read it. And I loved the conclusion....
"In conclusion, remember the words organize and manage. That is what you should do right now. Sit down and write out an organized plan to involve your children in meaningful responsible chores. Determine right now that you will not give in to your feelings of needing to serve, and that you will be tough when they whine and act like they are in pain when called upon to do their part. When you have created a general plan for the day, then determine to be the hawkish manager of your new enterprise. Above all, keep it light and fun. Never give in to whining, accusing, complaining, threatening, or anger. When you organize and manage there is never any need to be angry, for you are in control and no longer depend on intimidation to force them to choose rightly. You have organized and managed them into doing what they should. Remember, their feet will toughen one step at a time. Each step will be a little bit painful, but bearable. In time they will be toughened to the pain of duty and responsible actions, growing strong in self sufficiency and service to others."
Pretty clear to me! It doesn't have to be difficult. Just writing down some chores that I want the kids to help out with, set up a schedule, and follow through! That's the part I'll be working on... following through!

No comments:
Post a Comment