It just has never felt right in my heart to tell the kids that he's real, or to talk about his reindeer like they'll really land near our house and help Santa get in... a few days before Christmas, both Teda and Dane brought home reindeer food they made at Teda's school- it's oatmeal and glitter in a baggie, with a little poem attached. Very cute idea. But Teda was so excited and was saying, "Mommy! We HAVE to put this on our grass, so the reindeers will come and eat it!!!" That was kinda the last straw for me- I couldn't even feel comfortable responding to her! So I changed the subject, because I didn't know what to say!
Anyways, our friends Ian and Erin told their kids in a really cool way about Santa, so we pretty much copied what they said. Thanks Ian and Erin! :) We sat them down (and it's silly, but I was so nervous!), and Zach did most of the talking. He told them that he wanted to talk about Santa with them. He told them that Santa was a real man a very long time ago, and his name was Nicholas. People called him Saint Nick because he was VERY nice and gave lots and lots of kids toys and presents that didn't have any. And after he got old, it was time for him to go be with Jesus, and go to Heaven. And after he did go to heaven, people still remembered him, and they started dressing up like him. And so Santa Claus is not real, he's not really going to come to our house tonight, and bring presents. Because he's in Heaven. But sometimes people who want to surprise someone, they say that their gift is from "Santa" to keep it a secret. And Santa is fun, and it's fun to talk about him. And we can still pretend about him. Just like Dora is on TV, she's not real but we talk about her and pretend to even be her. People even dress up like her.
We told them that they can pretend with their friends at school about Santa too, and if anyone ever asks about Santa- they can tell that person to go ask their mommy and daddy. Because only mommies and daddies get to tell the kids about Santa. And Teda said, "So I just know for myself." Right! They totally got it, and weren't upset or anything.
Later that night, I told my sister Julie what we did, and she said to Teda and Dane, "Tell me everything you know about Santa" (to see what they would do). And Teda said, "Go ask your mommy." Score, she was totally listening! :)
My other sister Sarah cracked me up- when I told her she said, "Your kid isn't going to be the one that tells my kid that Santa isn't real, is he?" I told her no because they will tell him to ask his mommy and daddy! She's funny.
Anyways, I'm really really glad we told them, and it actually took a little weight off my shoulders that I didn't realize was there. I just didn't feel comfortable even going along with the whole idea of Santa coming to our house, he eats the cookies, and all that. Plus, here's the biggie for me. We are raising our kids to know who Jesus is, and that He lives in us, and we live for Him. But believing in Him is all about faith. So if my kids find out I was lying to them about Santa, I would never want that to play a role in whether they believe in Jesus. I could just picture it, if Santa isn't real, then how is Jesus real? And mom and dad told me Santa is real, and then I found out he's not. What about Jesus? I couldn't bear to think of it. And I want our kids to know they can fully trust us.
Oh, and one more thing about it- we also wanted to be sure to keep the reason we celebrate Christmas in tact: to celebrate Jesus' birth.
So that's it- I'm glad we did it, and that's the long version of us telling our kiddos about Santa.
So far I've had mixed reviews of those who know we've told our kids, and I'm okay with that. I'm usually such a people pleaser, and there are still times that I worry way too much about what others think. But since I've gotten married, had kids, and really worked on my own personal relationship with Jesus, there are some subjects that I just know what's right for me (that doesn't make it right for everyone), and it's okay of others don't agree. So that's huge for me. Anyways, I'm going to end this post- it's dragging on! :)

3 comments:
Way to stick to your convictions! You both are great parents and I believe you are setting an important foundation for your kids. Happy New Year!
YEAH!! What's important is that you did what was right for your family :) He gave them to you for a reason remember ;)
I'm saving this post. You said that your kids won't tell my kids...we shall see :)
Post a Comment