I wanted to share with you something that happened the other day between Zach and Dane, and Zach wrote this out...
The other day Lisa and I decided that I would give our son Dane a haircut like daddy...a shaved head. I gave him some time to prepare for it by telling him the day before that daddy was going to give him a hair cut like daddy's hair. He talked about it with me by pointing to his hair and saying "cut," and then smiling and giggling. The next day I told him we were going to shave his head today like daddy's, and he got excited and pointed to his hair again, and I asked him if he was ready. He said "yam," which means ya, and so I said, "well, c'mon let's go into mommy and daddy's bathroom." So Dane followed me and we sat down on the bathroom floor with him in my lap. He had his hands sitting in his lap and he held his head straight and ready. I showed him the clippers and I asked, "you ready bubba?" to which he replied, "yam." Then I turned on the clippers so he could see and started shaving off some of the hair on the top of his head. I showed him the hair and he put his hand on his head and felt the missing hair and he snickered and put his hands back in his lap. I had gotten through only a part of the top and part of one side when some of the falling hair had gotten on his nose and mouth. He brought one of his hands up to get rid of the little ticklilng on his face, and managed to get some hair in his mouth. I am still trying to shave when he begins to let out a whine and struggle with his hand at his mouth saying, "I o wike it," (I don't like it). I look around to his face and see he has hair on his tongue and on his hand, so I stop to help. I brush the hair off his hand and remove the little hairs from his tongue and say, "it's ok bubba. You have hair on your hand so don't put your hand in your mouth ok." "Yam." And I began cutting again, only seconds later he was trying to brush the hair away from his mouth and got it on his tongue again and burst out in a whine of discomfort, "I o wike it, I o wike it, I o wike it..." He kept repeating it. I wanted to stop but I had only shaved the half of his head. I knew he wouldn't understand but I still told him anyway, "bubba, I'm sorry, I have to keep going I haven't finished yet." He struggled more and cried louder, "I O Wike It, I O Wike It..." I held him as still as I could between my legs while my heart broke because he was crying. I knew it would be over soon, even if he didn't. I kept saying, "It's ok bubba, daddy is trying to hurry. I love you. We are almost done. I love you bud." He was still crying, all shiny faced and wet from his tears and snot as I looked over his head quickly and did the last touches. Then I grabbed him and brought him in the shower and just held him and rocked him and told him, "We're all done bud. I'm so sorry, I had to keep going. I love you bud. I'm sorry. I love you. I love you son." He would cry with his head on my shoulder for a minute and then pick his head up and look at me with his thumb in his mouth in mid cry. I repeated, "I love you Dane. I love you bubba." And he would drop his head back to my shoulder continuing to let it out. This went on for over 5 minutes.The next day, Lisa came to me and told me that God showed her something about His heart in that haircut. She said that God wants us to look like Him, and we start out excited for Him to shape us and form us, but it starts to get pretty uncomfortable and we don't like it and we want God to stop. But, He knows He isn't finished yet. As much as it breaks His heart to see us scared, sad, worried, upset, struggling, He continues and finishes the good work He began in us. But, the best part is that I got to act out God's love, without knowing it, and my son Dane got to see God's love, without knowing it. God picks us up, holds us close, letting us cry to Him, and He reassures us of His love. My God loves me so much he won't leave me with half a haircut...He works to help me grow up and be like Him...and He loves me through it the whole time. Thanks for showing me a picture of who You are God.

1 comment:
Zach,
I was sooooo blessed reading this!
What a life lesson and so true of our Heavenly Father's good nature.
Yes,I agree with Lisa, you are an awesome Dad....how truly blessed your children are!
Lynn Cronk
Post a Comment