Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Their First Cake!

Teda baked their first cake, and she made up the recipe too. I'm so proud of her! So cute! I think this is a huge milestone for her. Here's the recipe that she created... :)

-a handful of goldfish
-a graham cracker
-a splash of water
-3 pours of milk (in her own words)

First add goldfish- smash and stir- Dane does the smashing and Teda does the stirring (also in her words). Then add graham cracker, repeat first step (smash and stir). Then add water, continue stirring (be careful to keep it all in the bowl- it can get crazy). Lastly, add the 3 pours of milk, and do one final stir. Then you're ready to pour the batter into a greased cake pan, and bake!

Zach suggested that maybe we should bake it and put frosting on it, and she was all about that idea! It's cool because he's starting to loosen up too with our kiddos, letting them do things that may get messy, but be really enjoyable for them- and for us too. So we did. We baked it at 350 degrees in a greased cake pan for about 25 minutes. (when I put it in the oven, Dane said, "It's gonna be yucky." Ha! Then Teda and Dane frosted it with pink and yellow frosting. Then, we all tried it- mmmmmmmmm, that was good. ;) We of course took the tiniest bites ever. I was so proud of her though- she is very creative and is a great self-starter. That will be super useful for her later in life, I know that! And it will be so fun to watch her grow in her baking skills too. I'm sure before long she will be showing me new recipes and tricks! Here are a few pictures of the cake, and then of us all tasting the cake. Enjoy!

NOTE: I know it looks like we all don't have any clothes on in these pictures- sorry! We totally do- Zach is shirtless and I have on a dress that has no straps. Well, Dane doesn't, but he's 2, and that's what 2 year olds do right- mine totally does! After looking at these after posting this, I think I should make sure you all know we're not turning into nudists! HA!!!!


Isn't it funny to see actual goldfish in there?!

Frosting their masterpiece...

The taste testers...





2 comments:

Jackie said...

What are you guys, a bunch of nudists? It looks like you and Zach are sitting around naked eating cake. :) HA HA HA. Feel free not to publish this, I just wanted to give you a hard time! Such a cure story.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Wow...uh, YUM? :) It's so great that Zach's loosening up about the messes. For me, that's what pre-school is for. ;) I know, wrong thinking...I'm getting better...