Oh, I have so much to catch up on here in my blog: on my mental to do blogging list, I will be posting soon about: pictures from Jett's birthday, our newest addition to our playroom (I'll post pics- it's pretty cool), Mother's Day, and my dad's birthday (yesterday- happy birthday dad!!! we had fun and all met up for dinner at one of his favorite mexican restaraunts- Oaxaca (sounds like wahaka)). Well, almost all of us met up- Zach stayed home and laid down to rest his back.
Yes, good times here. Yesterday morning, Zach was doing some stretching and his back went out...again. He wasn't going to tell me because he was supposed to have a dr. appt yesterday afternoon (and he didn't want me to worry, since he thought it would be fine once he saw the dr.) When he went to that appointment, it turns out the Dr has been out for a week sick and they had to cancel his appointment. He was SO bummed.
This weekend is one of the first weekends off that he's had since the beginning of February, and it's much needed for us all. And we'd planned to go to Prescott to stay in a cabin at a summer camp that the kids from our church go to. Zach was SO excited to get to go on hikes with the kids, climb all over all the rocks, and just play and relax and regroup as a family. So when his back went out, his spirit deflated quite a bit. And he called me, and I immediately began to cry. Because when his back is out, he's out. And I end up having to pick up the slack for us all. And to be honest, I'm so tired. I'm worn out, and I'm almost 30 weeks pregnant! I was so looking forward to this weekend away also. It was during naptime when he called to tell me, and was doing his best to say it will all be okay and we'll still go and have fun. But I just couldn't hold back the tears. I went into the playroom and just cried. And cried. And cried. It felt good to cry. And pray, and just sit in the quiet.
I ended up calling a friend whose husband works with Zach, and he has lots of back issues as well. And his back goes out too- and when their backs go out, they look like old men all hunched over because their backs spasm, and the muscles wrap themselves around bones and it's just not a pretty picture. And very painful. I knew in my heart and spirit that everything would be okay, and it will all work out, and that God isn't surprised that this was happening. But I felt like I needed to hear an audible voice from a friend who I knew understood tell me those things I already knew. And she did. She was SO encouraging. She just listened as I sniffled out my woes, and just told me that God is so good. He truly is. And the enemy wants nothing more than to steal, kill, and destroy. And maybe he saw this as the perfect opportunity to take the wind out of our sails... weekend off, much needed family time awaiting, perfect- make Zach's back go out. (I totally think that's so true!) Then she said, BUT the enemy can't take our joy away from us. And you still have a weekend with your family. It may not look like you thought it would, but I know it will be okay. And she said she'd pray for us and also pray that God would heal Zach's back. She gave me some more encouraging words, and I just was so thankful.
That's what friends are for. To support and encourage, to lift us up when we're down. And it almost didn't matter what she said because I knew she understood how sad I was about Zach's back, and how discouraged I felt. Because she's been there. And she is there. And she knows that it's all good- God is good, all the time. Even through the hard times, and the struggles. He's still on His throne. He has a plan for us. He is in control. He knows the path He wants us to walk, and will show it to us as we walk with Him. I think I just needed to be reminded of that.
So is Zach's back all better? No. But we both have a fresh perspective, and we're still going to Prescott, and are super excited to spend the weekend together as a family. So there you have it! Life is such a roller coaster. Ups and downs. This week has been a tough one for me, but it's ending on a positive note and I know without a doubt that all things work together for good, to those who are called according to his purpose. And knowing that truly brings me peace and joy that I can and will rest in this weekend. :)
And I have to just say, I don't think I'd be very much fun to be around if my back was all contorted and I looked the way Zach does when he walks when his back is spasming... yet Zach is just amazing about it. He truly has such a great and positive attitude about it all, and he refuses to let it rule over him. He is an encouragement to me for sure- that when life throws you lemons, make lemonade! :)
ps- get my title- minor set(back)? haha :) oh yeah, and by the way- from my earlier post about our van making hot air conditioning- we now have our van fixed, and we have cool air! hallelujah!
Matthew 11:28-30
"...Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."


1 comment:
Hey Lisa! I'm so glad that you decided to go to Prescott anyway! I'm sure it was beautiful and a little cooler anyway. I hope you all had a nice relaxing time!
Love you!
Dulcy
Post a Comment