Sunday, January 23, 2011

6th Months Old!

I have a quick window of a few minutes between getting the kids lunch and getting Deklan up to feed him (and Zach is in the front with the kids while they eat and ride bikes), so I thought I'd write a fast post about Deklan.

I know I am SUPER behind on all the other updates, and it's killing me to be this behind. Life is just overwhelming right now- and I don't know how to find enough time in the day to fit it all in- and right now it seems like I'm hardly fitting anything in. I think this will be a lifelong struggle for me- I'm not a very organized person, and now that we have 4 kids, life feels that much more crazy....

But I will do what I can when I can, and now for Deklan's little update. He got his first tooth! Well, I can only feel that it's popped through the gums, but can't see it yet. Once I can see it, I'll get a good picture and post it. He's been quite fussy and chewing on everything he can get in his mouth, including the kids fingers when they get close enough.... I know. Can you say germs? Yeah.

It's no wonder he had a fever last week for 3 days (it was SO sad- he was just a little rag doll, so tired and didn't want to eat much, and slept a lot, but we got through it thank goodness without an ear infection, etc)- Dane was sick the week before (and that was SO sad too- I hate when my kids are sick, I feel so bad for them)... and maybe he caught whatever Dane had. It's so hard to keep the kids away from him- they just adore him and more than that, Deklan just gets so excited when they come by him and want to play with him. He wiggles all around, kicks his feet, smiles so big (especially for Teda- I think right now she's his favorite... maybe because she has long hair he can pull into his mouth...), and he sometimes squeals with delight. Teda can totlaly get him to belly laugh- it's AWESOME to watch them interact.

The day he turned 6 months (on Jan 20th), I gave him rice cereal to try, and he did great! I was worried about how he'd do with his cleft palate- would the cereal go up in there and would he just choke and not like it? But just the opposite happened, he did wonderful. So that was a huge accomplishment! He was really more interested in chewing on the spoon than eating the cereal, but hey. :)

He had his 6 month pediatrician appointment, for her to check his weight, height and head circumference. He's now 12lb 11oz (a whopping .36% on the growth chart), 26 1/4 in long (44th%), and 16 3/4in for his head (18%). He's doing awesome for height and head, but weight.... Zach put it perfectly. What do you expect, he has a hole in the roof of his mouth! I'd say that would pose a bit of a struggle for anyone. He's right. I start to really worry about the weight thing. We do our best to get as much formula in him as he will drink, without making him sick to his tummy... and we'll keep at it. We even let him get up at night to eat, so it's like we're still in the newborn phase of life. We were saying the other night that we wonder what it will feel like to get 7 or 8 solid hours of sleep again. I know that is just around the corner though, so we have that to look forward to. And soon, this will all be a distant memory. He'll get his surgery to correct the cleft palate, and I think he'll start eating much better, and he'll slowly but surely catch up. He's just a peanut still. Kinda nice in some ways because he's so snuggly too, and to have him be tiny and snuggly is just really awesome.

He's still such a happy baby- super chill and relaxed. He is content- that's a good word for him. He loves to get attention- he smiles and smiles when there are people talking to him. And he loves when I hold him to just grab my hair and hold it. I think it's comforting to him- he even touches his own hair when we feed him. And he's SO blonde! He's just sweet! I like to call him "Mr. Mr." I don't know why, I just do.

He's sleeping in our closet now, and that's been good to have him not by our bed, but still close enough that we can hear him when he wakes up at night to feed him.

I think that's all for now- here are a few pics...

This was him just watching me while I straightened my hair the other day. I just had to grab my camera...

Sweet boy

Can you just see how into Teda he is! Is that look not PRECIOUS!?


2 comments:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

He is so cute! I didn't know he had a cleft palate. Ryland had to have his tongue tie clipped at 6 months. Let us know when the surgery is in the future so we can be praying!

Lariate said...

Love the little update. I havent checked in in forever. What a sweet boy! Although a light-weight, growing so much.