Monday, September 5, 2011

July Colorado Trip

In July right after swim season was over, our family loaded up a chevy suburban (rented), loaded up the four munchkins, got the dvd player all ready with lots and lots of dvds, loaded up on snacks and toys, and drove to Colorado to visit Zach's family. I know, are we crazy or what? We ended up taking the "scenic route" on the way there that ended up taking us 17 hours to get there, which was interesting. The drive was more beautiful than I've ever experienced, but it was SO long. AND it was one lane the WHOLE. way. there. I told Zach I was going to need blood pressure meds by the time we got there because I was a wreck watching him pass people (because you know, you have to pass in the lane doing the opposite direction!) I'm sure he was just as much of a wreck as I would say "ZACH! You aren't going to make it! Go back to our lane!", as I held on for dear life to my arm rests. Good times. Really though, I look back and they were. Funny how in the moment, you don't ever think you'll get through it and you can't believe how things are going. Then you get through it, and think, why did I stress? The drive there was one of those. The kids did awesome though- I figured they'd be SO done, but they really did great.

The drive back was only 15 hours. Why shaving 2 hours off the time felt so much better, I don't know. Well, we didn't have to stay the night somewhere, so that was nice. And it wasn't one lane, which was so much better too. Enough about the driving because I want to tell you how fun our trip was!

We had a great week at Grammy and Poppies. On the first day we went to the lake and visited some family (Uncle Jess, Aunt Deb, and the gang)- they took us out on their boat, and the kids totally got to kneeboard and go tubing. They totally loved it! They did so amazing too- they got right up. Teda didn't want to leave, she was having so much fun. She'd have stayed out on that boat all day long if we'd let her. It was music for Zach's soul to see our kids on the water for a few different reasons. We were at Sloans Lake, and this is the lake that Zach literally grew up on. His dad built them a house (yes, built with his own 2 hands- he's incredibly skilled) that was right next to the lake, and they were out at the lake every weekend. So needless to say, water has been a huge part of Zach's life. To see our kids love it like they did was really really cool. And of course, it made us want to get a boat and get to the lake! Jestin (Zach's cousin) was SO amazing with the kids, so patient with them, and helped them learn how to kneeboard and tube. Aunt Sarah even got out there on the kneeboard with Jett because he was too nervous to go by himself. It was just an amazing day. Family, conversation, fun, boats, great food... and beautiful scenery.

We also had a birthday party/family get together for Deklan (who turned 1 while we were there!), Dane (who was about to turn 5), Uncle Randy, Aunt Lucy, and Grammy. It was so great to see everyone, and we did cake and sang to them. Deklan went to town eating his cupcake, and he enjoyed it SO much. It was so neat to watch him eat it, and not worry about him choking (since he was about 3 weeks post surgery).

We went to visit Zach's nana, and that was really cool to see where she's living. She's in assisted living now, and her place is beautiful. She looks great, and she was very happy to see us. The kids were pretty rambunctious, of course- doesn't that seem to happen when you don't want it too? It was a smaller space, and they just had so much energy. I'm really glad she got to see them all though, so I'm glad we all went up to see her.

Zach and I got to have a night away, while Grammy and Poppie watched the kids- we met up with Zach's cousins Matt and Randy, and his sister Courtney. We had a ton of fun, and I was grateful for the break- thanks Grammy and Poppie for watching the kiddos. :)

We went swimming at the community swimming pool, and the kids had a blast with Grammy there. They didn't want to leave when it was time.

We even got to visit Courtney's fire station, and that was one of the kids' favorite part of the trip. They got to check out the firetrucks, the ambulance, and even try on hear gear. I'm so proud of my sister in law. She is an amazing woman. She has worked so hard, and is a paramedic for the Cunningham Fire Department. And a darned good one too. And she is an incredible athlete- she is a trainer at a few crossfit gyms in her area, and she even competes in the crossfit games. She amazes me, and I love her! Thanks Auntie Court Court, for showing your niece and nephews where you work. :)

Grammy with Teda (the 2 Tedas!)






Grammy and Jett

Grammy with Deklan


Grammy and Poppie with the 4 munchkins



Grammy, Poppie, and Aunt Lucy with the 4 kiddos

Gettin on the boat! Let's do this!

Jetty tubing

Love this pic... he's just precious

Teda tubin- she kept doing a thumbs up to ask us to go faster!

So sweet! Dane, Jett, and Jestin (Zach's cousin) watching Teda go...

Go Teda!

Dane's turn!

Bedtime stories

Love this one with Auntie Court Court

Courtney and Deklan

Auntie Court Court and Deklan

Playing bubbles- can you even believe how BEAUTIFUL it is in Colorado? The sky is just inreal!

Me and Heather- Matt's fiance (and soon to be bride this month!) LOVE her!

Happy Birthday!

More pictures to come soon! Love you all! :)
Uncle Randy and Dane blowing out their candles... make a wish!


No comments: