Thursday, February 2, 2012

Update on Zach

I just have to say, we have been getting phone calls, facebook messages, blog comments, texts, and last night from Zach's friend asking if he could bring him a blizzard from Dairy Queen :), all asking how Zach is doing, and letting us know they are praying for him. It's humbling. I think Zach was a little embarrassed that I wrote about all this. Well, embarrased isn't the right word- he just doesn't like attention to be on him, and knows that everyone has things going on in their lives that is at least as hard, and for many of you- much harder than what he's going through. But this has been good too because it helped him to realize that it's okay to accept prayer from others, and allow others who we consider to be wonderful friends to lift him up to our Creator in prayer. So, thank you to everyone who has been praying for Zach and thinking of him!

I have a big praise- he is doing much better! We can't get in to the endocrinologist until this coming Monday February 6th. I was disappointed at first because I wasn't sure how he was going to get through this week in the condition that he was in. And he's still been teaching and coaching- so I just wasn't sure how it was all going to work together. And isn't that when God just shows up?

Our family doctor, Dr. Limkemann, got a hold of our soon to be endocrinologist, Dr. Suppiah, and let her know that Zach was experiencing a lot of symptoms and asked if he could begin to treat him rather than wait until Feb 6th. She called him back and said that would be good- gave the okay to order an ultrasound to be done on his thyroid as well as to call him in 2 prescriptions. The first is an antihyperthyroid medicine, that I guess inhibits as much thyroid hormone to be released. The other one is what's called a beta blocker- this one helps to slow down his heart rate. This was all on Tuesday afternoon. So he started the meds, and we also were able to get right in for the ultrasound.

They wouldn't let me back in the room (I was ready to spy and see if I could spot anything suspicious looking- as if I know anything about what to be looking for!), and they should be sending the results to our Dr. today. So I'm assuming we will hear back from him by tomorrow at the latest about the results of that.

As far as his racing heart, he is experiencing relief! He said that half way through the day yesterday, he realized that he hadn't been feeling the racing heart and electricity feelings. Huge praise!!! So I'm really thankful that we have a Dr. that is willing to do what needs to be done rather than just telling us to hang in there and wait for the endocrinologist appointment.

I've of  course, still been thinking about it a lot, but I feel God working on my heart to help me not to be so anxious about it all. It is what it is, and He is bigger than an overactive thyroid! In fact, I know that He is using all this to bring us closer to Him, and then glory can be given to Him! So it really is all good, as my dad would say. :)

Last night, as I was sitting reading a Hyherthyroid book I checked out at the library (I know, I know), I heard a still small voice ( the Holy Spirit for sure!) telling me to close the book, and stop trying to fill my mind with this useless information. It is useless to me right now since we don't even know what we're dealing with. We haven't even seen the endocrinologist, so why try and learn about things I don't even know are necessary to know about? So it did take me a few more minutes to listen to that voice, but I put it down and that was that. I felt a huge peace as I put the book down. God is good, and He's teaching me right now to remember to listen to that still small voice. I heart it often, but how much to I listen to it?

Makes me think about my kids- they hear my voice at the grocery store, when we are going to keep moving down the aisle, away from the cereal... and they're stuck looking at that sweet, yummy looking cereal that they feel like they have to have, wishing I'd have said yes....they have a decision to make, do they listen AND obey, or do they listen and stay where they are... Wow, this is a huge discovery for me. I get so frustrated with the kids when they hear and don't DO, and I am right there with them struggling too! This will be helpful as I continue on with this day being mommy to my sweet little ones.

Anyways, that's the latest on Zach and what God is showing me through this so far. I know there is much more to come! :)

No comments: