Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Homeschooling is... Science and Reading

Homeschooling is, among other things, science and reading. But not in the traditional sense of the words. 

When I think science, I think sitting in a classroom, taking a test of information I had memorized just long enough to get a good grade, I think of learning from a textbook about life around us, I think of experiments done in my class with the teacher leading the way and showing us how to do it. When I think of reading, I think of vocabulary words, I think of reading logs that get signed by parents, and I know Teda thinks of AR reading tests and what "level" she's reading at because that's most of what was talked about regarding reading last year for her. I think about how many words you read, and how you test.

 Now, don't get me wrong... there is nothing wrong with all the things I described here. We need goals, we need learning from a textbook here and there, we for sure need repetition, we need to follow instructions from a leader, and we must learn words and their meanings in order to continue growing intellectually.

But I now know there is a different way of doing things. And I think it's a much more effective and fun way. And it involves me doing something I'm pretty new to. Letting some of my ideas of "how things should go" and my upbringing as far as going to school and learning in a classroom setting, go. It has to do with me relaxing a bit, and enjoying the ride we're on.

Learning science, and growing as a reader is going to happen. I can force it, and they will learn by default. Or I can be more laid back about it, and in some cases let it happen on it's own, and they will still learn! It's quite a new concept for me, this is for sure. Not that we don't have structure to our learning. But it's got room for flexibility, and I'm enjoying it very much.

This afternoon Jett came up to me holding a cup that had ice, paint, cold water, a q-tip and a cotton ball in it. He said two words to me, and walked away with his concoction... he said, "Mom... science."

My curiosity couldn't let me stay where I was, so I got up and followed him. He had quite the science lab going in our kitchen. He had many kinds of paints out, q-tips, cotton balls, water, ice, and cups he'd gotten from the dishwasher (dirty ones, no less- and hey, who am I to stop a boy who is motivated?!) I kept my distance to see what he would do. He ended up with 5 cups, 4 different colors of paint, and ice and water in each cup. He carefully poured them all around, from cup to cup, observing, and I was watching his mind just
grow. Seriously, I was!

 

I asked him what he was discovering, and at first his answer was just, "Science." Then he shared with me that he was learning that when he mixed the water and the paint, the water turned that paint's color.... and when he started pouring different color waters from cup to cup, those waters turned different colors. Again, even after that, he told me "It's science." He's a very straight and to the point little boy, so this was no shocker to me that this sums it up for him. And he's right. After we'd cleaned it all up, and I fished a few q-tips out of the disposal that I wasn't paying attention to when I poured the water down the drain, "That's just how science goes in Arizona, mom." Thanks bud. I love it. :)

 Meanwhile.................

 In the other room, I'd told Teda and Dane it was time to do some reading. I told them they could read together if they wanted to. I heard them giggling quite a bit, and they were looking at an I Spy book together. It warmed my heart to watch them giggle together, and they were huddled so close together, and I just really could feel the love between them. Brother and sister, getting to just snuggle up and read together. Yes, it was an I Spy book. But I didn't care! They do read other books, of course. But I'm all for this. The tv wasn't on (which was a huge thing for me before I chose to homeschool... how will I keep them occupied ALL DAY LONG without just having the tv on if it only takes a few hours to homeschool?!.... it's actually not hard, believe it or not!) For the record though, we do watch tv. Our kids are movie FIENDS, I tell you. And
we're totally good that.
 



As I'm sharing these things, I'm thinking about how our spiritual life is a lot like this. When I think of God, I think of obedience, reading my Bible, praying, going to church, and following the "rules". And I'm remembering that while all these things are good things, and praying, reading my Bible, going to church, and obeying the Word are an important part of my relationship with Jesus, it's not all. There's more, and the rest is what makes it so rich. It's the Holy Spirit leading me throughout the day, it's singing praise songs to Him with my kids, it's having a song hidden in my heart during the day, it's calling a friend when I feel lead to, it's loving my kids, it's loving my husband and those around me, it's relaxing and enjoying this life that He has given us, it's doing my best to enjoy every moment we have here, it's lightening up. It's less about the "rules". And I realize that as I worry less about "doing" and focus more on "being", things just really start to fit together and things go so much better than when I'm so caught up in the "doing" part of my walk with Him.

Jett taught me something with his answers being "Science" for his reasons why things worked the way they worked with the water and paint. I feel that same way about life lately. I look around, I think about life and our circumstances, and all I can say is "God." He is literally in every part of our lives, moving, and working in and through us. I can say with confidence, "God.", and not need to say anything more! :)

Teda and Dane taught me to remember to laugh and enjoy the ride. There is a way to make things fun and enjoyable. This life was not meant for us to live it uptight, worried, stressed, and anxious. I love that there is joy to be had in EVERY circumstance. And I praise Jesus for that because without joy, this life would not be any fun!!

No comments: