Yesterday I was over at my grandparent's house, and the kids were napping. My grandparents had just gotten home, and I sat down to chat with my grandpa. He was telling me about their day- they had a meeting that morning, went to lunch, and then went to visit a friend from their church who had just had surgery. And he was telling me how he just thinks it's so neat how God works. His friend was going to have to go back to the hospital that afternoon, and he was so grateful that my grandparents came to visit. They were able to chat and then pray together before they left. And my grandpa was just expressing how cool that was that they had no idea their friend was going to have to go back into the hospital that afternoon, but God did. And He knew that they would be able to encourage him during his time of need. What an awesome God we have! And the coolest part about this whole thing is that my grandfather was the one telling me the story. I just don't know how to put into words how thankful and grateful I am to have my grandparents in my life. I try and see them once a week or every other week, and go to their house to just be with them. Because ever since I can remember, I have just loved being with them. They are a source of safety, love, strength, laughter, and peace for my soul. They have taught me so much. I know why I feel these things when I am with them- they have Jesus Christ in their hearts, and we can share that connection together. And talk openly about it. And it just does well for my spirit. They have been married for almost 52 years, they have 6 kids, 17 grandkids, and 7 great grandkids with one more on the way... they're such an inspiration to me. And I can totally see their love for one another. It's awesome. They love to talk, they love family, and they would just sit for as long as I wanted to hear stories I have to tell, to tell me things that have been going on, or just to be. I can go over there anytime and just turn on the tv and lay on the couch while they sit in their chairs- and we don't even have to say anything. I don't know, I just absolutely treasure them. And I look forward to each of my visits there.
I love to watch them interact with my kids. It's so cool to think that these are their great grandchildren. What will that feel like to play with and spend time with my own great grandchildren? Wow, that will be so cool (God willing, if I'm still here on earth by then). I hope we can be like them when Zach and I grow up to be in their spots- where our grandkids come by anytime and feel comfortable and welcome and loved. I know that they won't be around forever, and I can't think about that for too long because I will get sad. I don't ever want them to leave here and move on to Heaven (that is so selfish!), but I know it will happen. So anyways, they are a true treasure to me; and I'm soooo thankful to have them in my life. Life is just full of these sorts of treasures, I'm sure of it. I just have to keep my eyes open to make sure I see them and then appreciate them.

No comments:
Post a Comment