Yesterday evening after Zach got home from work, we were getting dinner ready, and Teda was working on a project with stamps and stickers and things like that. She was wearing her purple apron and chef's hat, and looked absolutely adorable. I wish I would've taken a picture. But anwyays, she said to Zach, "I've been thinking about you, daddy." And he turned to her, and said, "what have you been thinking?" And she said, "About Jesus." And then Zach and I just looked at each other, probably thinking the same thing- kids are just amazing. And he sat down next to her to get a little more about what she was talking about, and asked her, "what else were you thinking?" And she said, "Jesus, and God." And she really wasn't looking up from doing her project. It was as if she was just stating a fact to him, and letting him know she'd been thinking. And I was just taken aback in my heart- I really did feel joy in my heart listening to her talk to her daddy like that. Because here's what I think she was saying...
This is something that I got to learn in a class I took a while back, and it's been so cool to me to know now as a parent. There's a verse in the Bible, Proverbs 17:6- the second part of the verse, that talks about the ... "glory of the child is the father"...the word "glory" in greek is "daxa", which means look at, take note of, draw conclusions about God... so a paraphrase of that verse would be something like this: "A child will watch, look at, take note of, and draw conclusions about who God is by watching their (earthly) father"
Isn't that so cool? It made me see just how awesome it is to have a daddy that can show our kids the correct picture of who our God is- loving, kind, caring, patient, slow to anger, always understanding... you get the idea.
And I think what Teda was saying yesterday to Zach was that she is watching him and she was thinking about him. And when she said she was thinking about him (Zach), I think she was really saying that she was thinking about God. And that just amazes me. The Bible really is telling the truth- Teda is watching Zach and making observations and drawing conclusions about who her God is based on how Zach lives his life, and what Teda is seeing. And the fact that she could put that into words just melts my heart. I had to write about this because I never want to forget it, and I want these types of reminders often because it's so easy to forget that our kids are watching our every move. It's such a big responsibility- and also such great accountability!
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow, what a neat thing! We have such a huge responsibility as parents sometimes it can be a little overwheming. You guys are doing a great job showing your kids who Jesus is! By the way Lisa, you are such a great writer. I always enjoy your posts so much!
I just teared up reading that about Teda! What an awesome moment for all of you and I'm so blessed to know my friends love the Lord in such a way that their children see who Jesus is. Love you guys.
Post a Comment