Last Wednesday we had a lemonade stand- Teda and Dane colored signs, and we brought out their little table and chairs, and I texted family that lived near us to have them come and support the kids in their lemonade endeavor. We decided that the quarters they earned would go to Teda's school for the laminator they're looking to purcharse. (The teachers sent the kids home with a water bottle with a little slot in it to fill up with quarters.) It was so adorable- the kids were holding up their signs in thin air, with no cars around, and no people, saying, "If you want to buy lemonade, come here!" Dane said, "Hold up your signs, mateys!" Precious. I called Zach to tell him to come home quick so he didn't miss it, and he said, grab the video camera to tape it! So I ran inside to grab it, and the battery was dead... bummer. So I set it in our garage, and in the 30 seconds it took me to run inside with Jett and get it, my mom and sister Sarah came to buy some lemonade. So I forgot about the camera, and didn't have time to charge the battery. Then more came- my sister Julie, cousin Kevin and his fiance Kristin, aunt Judy and uncle Alan, and Julie's husband, Joel (uncle Jo Jo), aunt Susie, Kelly, and little Tegan came too! It was such fun! Some of our neighbors came by too, and the kids were just loving it. When someone would come up, they scrambled to get the juice and cookie ready for them. Dane was so confused by the money part. He had a dollar in his hand from someone, and my cousin Kevin gave him another dollar. He said, "I already have a dollar!" And Kevin said, "Well, now you have another one!" He just looked at Kevin, so confused... it was awesome. All the while, Jett just walked around picking up peoples half eaten cookies and half drunk juices, and going to town. He's such a stinker! :)
Here's the bummer part though. After it was over, the kids and Zach and I rushed into the house to get dinner on the table because I had to leave to have some dinner with my friends (yea!) And in the meantime, Zach wanted to run to the store. So in the time we rushed inside, until Zach left for the store (maybe 10 minutes?), we had left the garage door open. And I had accidentally left our video camera in the garage (oh, and our regular camera was stashed in there as well). So you can only guess what happened- yes, it got stolen. We didn't realize it until Friday morning. And it's not the cameras as much that we're bummed about, but we had footage from our Florida trip, as well as our Seattle trip. I'm thinking we even had Dane's birthday footage in there too. That is just such a bummer. Maybe we'll put a sign up on our garage for whoever did it, asking them to return the footage. If it hasn't already been thrown away. The cameras are replacable, but the video footage- oh it just gets me. I'm not nearly as bummed about it as I was on Friday. I thought about it off and on all day long. Oh well. Good lesson- we can't be so trusting, and leave our garage door open.
Also, these things are just things. I told Zach that morning that we'd realized they were taken (I'l be so embarrassed if they show up randomly one of these days- I think they really were stolen though....) , I told him well if it feels this awful knowing this was taken, imagine if we lost one of our babies. Talk about heart stopping. I could. not. imagine. Yet it happens every day. So I'm grateful that all our kids are safe, healthy, and we're all good. We may not have pictures to go along with this blog for a bit, but I do have all my family in tact and God is still on His throne. And that is a beautiful thing!
2 comments:
It was good to run into you guys at the children's museum. I'm so sorry to hear about your cameras being stolen. It stinks that a person who would steal from you makes you change your whole mindset. Now we can't just trust that people will do the right thing because often times they won't. I hope it turns up though and maybe is just hiding somewhere :-)
PS -- You obviously have awesome family members who would/could drop what they were doing to come by and support your kids fundraiser. That is priceless!
Yuck- what a bad feeling. But I'm so glad the kids had a blast at the lemonade stand :) I put my camera down somewhere when we were building the church in Mexico this weekend and it's gone. I was the same way- bummed about the camera but really upset about the footage I lost. Oh well- the church was built even without the camera :) Hope you guys get a replacement soon (maybe for Christmas)
Post a Comment