Thursday, June 10, 2010

Teda's 1st Dance Recital... Mommy's Too!

This is a bit of a long post, but you have to read the whole thing to get the whole story... so just a little warning. :)

Ok, I just don't think I'm cut out to be a dancer's mom. I just don't have the mind for it- it takes so much, and I don't know about this. The costumes are pretty intricate, and thankfully my mom is good with all that. We got it, and I was like- where do these straps go, how do they get sewed on, where does this feather boa attach...ahh! So my mom was a great help with that.

Then there's the dress rehearsal. I took Teda alone, and my mother-in-law stayed home with the boys, which was awesome. We got there about 30 minutes early, so that was good because I was so worried we'd be late! It was in Goodyear, and that's pretty far from our house, so I wasn't sure of the timing of it all. So I got her all in costume, hair done, figured out how to get the special hair bow in, etc. One of Teda's friends said hi to her, and there was a mom of one of the girls in her class sitting behind us. We were in the auditorium, and Teda's teacher called up the 11:30 class girls onto the stage. They all had the same costumes on as Teda, and I wasn't paying attention to the fact that it was 30 minutes before she was supposed to rehearse, so I had her go up there with them. She didn't question that, and happily hopped up on stage. There were many clues to the fact that I had in fact, put my little girl up in the wrong class- 1. I didn't recognize any of the mom's near the stage taking pictures... 2. I didn't even recognize the girls in her class, and her good friend Ella wasn't there... 3. The teacher called for the 11:30 class girls, and Teda is in the 9:30 class... and 4. The mom AND the girl from Teda's class were still sitting in the audience while the class Teda was on stage with was practicing. (I truly thought, I wonder why that little girl doesn't want to do a run through of the dance? Oh well, she must just not feel like it, and her mom must be okay with that.) Yikes. I'm still not getting the clues here, so I'm up near the stage with all the other moms, taking pictures and video of Teda practicing for her recital- how exciting!

So after the practice run through, the teacher ushers the class off stage and back stage to the picture area, for a group picture. Oh yes, I did. Teda is totally in this class's group picture! It was at that point that I saw a clock- and I hadn't looked at one since I got there (too much else to worry about- all the costume gear getting on right!), and noticed it's only 9:25am. Wait a minute, Teda isn't even supposed to start her run through until 9:30. Why would they do that? Hmm, I thought for a fleeting second. Oh well, at least we made it! After pictures, Teda and I exchanged conversation about what a bummer it was that Ella missed the practice- Teda decided that she will be there tomorrow for the recital.....

Then we emerge from back stage, into the auditorium to get our stuff and go home, when I see Ella and her mom, Cheri. I thought, oh no- they were late and missed the whole thing! Then it hits me, all the other clues I missed... then I start seeing parents I recognize, and kids I recognize.... OH. NO. SO. EMBARRASSED! CANNOT. BELIEVE. I. DID. THAT! So I quietly take a seat next to Cheri (a good friend of mine), and proceed to tell her what I'd just done. I totally put Teda in the wrong class, let her practice the dance, and she was even in their group photo! I am laughing hysterically at this point, and I am so I don't even know what at that point. What else can you do but laugh when this happens?! The other mom I had seen was watching me from the other side of the auditorium, giggling. I was thinking, how many people know I did this!? Cheri is cracking up too, and then the teacher calls for the 9:30 girls to come on stage. So I send Teda up there... again! And this time she looked a lot more comfortable doing her dance, and she did great since she'd just practiced once before. Then she got in the correct group picture, and it's all good.

That one mom whose daughter didn't go up with the wrong class caught up with me at picture time, and said she tried to get my attention, but when she couldn't, she figured I knew what I was doing. I replied, "Well, I totally know what I'm doing!" Ha ha. She said, "Maybe it's just pregnancy hormones." Yes, let's use that. I'll go with it. I said maybe I'll be smart again when I have this baby. Cheri thought maybe not- I'm with her (she's funny and didn't say it in a mean way at all, I just love her. She emailed me that night and asked me if I was going to have Teda perform twice in the show- I replied, if I'm early enough, I just might!) Once I have Deklan there will be 4 to keep track of, and now it's only 3! What am I going to do when they're all involved in extra things?

So yes, that's the story of Teda's first dress rehearsal. The beauty of it is that she's only 5, and she wouldn't have even known if she didn't hear me talk about it. I think it's funny, and a story to remember always. That this is just life- and it's funny. And fun. It's okay to make mistakes. My mom has this magnet on her fridge that says, "Make new mistakes every day." I love that. We're all so not perfect. We do our best, and love others- and we grow each day. :)

Oh, ps- we were almost to the actual recital on Saturday, and I realized I completely forgot ALL the tickets for us to get in. For us, and for family that was meeting us there- awesome. Par for the course I'm on- not the same one everyone else has been on lately. In the moment, I was so frustrated with myself- how could I forget something so important? And hoping that no one would be mad at me- and of course, no one was. Oh well! It's still all good- we got in, and it was all fine.

So yes, I'm new here. New to the world of dance. It's a beautiful world though, I must say! Teda did awesome, and all the other dances were so cute too. Here are some pictures. And just a side note too- Zach said as he was watching her, and saw her all dressed up, all he could think of was when he could hold her in one hand. She was so tiny, and that just feels like yesterday. Now she's on a stage dancing? That's just almost too much for the mind to wrap itself around!

After the performances, here's most of the groups who performed- Teda's classes are in the front...
She's in the middle in the back row...
Teda and her friend, Ella after the dress rehearsal
Te Te- what a beauty


Waiting back stage for her turn
Teda with Grammy and Grandma- what a special picture!
Teda and Grammy
Grammy putting on her make-up



Teda and Dane- she really didn't want him in any of the pictures- but her REALLY wanted to be.. he's so proud of her too! :)


And here's a video of her doing her second run through with the right class- pretty cute. :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I will TOTALLY be Teda's dance "aunt" :) I was recently watching Toddlers and Tiaras and I thought..."I wonder if Lisa and Zach would let me put Teda in a pageant :)"

Unknown said...

That is so funny Lisa! Something I would totally do. Super Cute little dancer