Wednesday, February 23, 2011

First For Everything

I'm not too excited to say that Deklan has now experienced what a breathing treatment is like. Such a bummer- he has bronchiolitis- probably from the virus RSV. All 3 of the older kiddos have had chest type colds or something- fevers, coughing, tummy aches, and just yuckiness. And now it's little Dek's turn.

He was at the dr yesterday for a weight check- 14 lb- woo hoo- we hit 14 lbs! Still tiny, but hey he's still slowly but surely gaining! (and she now wants us to see a pediatric GI specialist to see ifthere's anything else we can be doing to help him gain weight... ugh!) She checked his lungs, and said they sounded great- but that the virus could get worse anytime. Well, 4 hours later, he woke up from his nap with no voice, and he was struggling to breathe. SO sad! I took him into the bathroom and turned on the shower all the way hot, and we just sat in the steam, hoping it would help. It did a bit, but not a whole lot.

Last night was hard, he slept next to us so we could hear when he tried to cry- which sounded like little peeps. And I ended up taking him into the dr again this morning, finding out he now has bronchiolitis- and will need breathing treatments and even an oral steroid (as I do the x with my fingers- as in, we are not fans of steroids!), but I know he needs something to help him. Because this could turn into pneumonia if it all settles into his chest.

Sorry I haven't blogged in a few weeks- one of our kids has been sick pretty much every week of this new year so far. Nothing that has required major meds like this one, but it's required lots of energy, love, attention, and this was one thing that I had given up for a bit. Even though I hate to do that. I've also really been trying to keep up my food tidings blog, and the facebook fan page. And then once I'm on facebook, well, anyone who gets on knows that it's hard to just hop on for one thing! So all those things have been a recipe for no family blogging time for me- I'm really wanting to get back though because I have lots to blog about. Pictures, videos, and that sort of fun stuff.

I'll update if things change for Dek- I'm thinking the medicine, breathing treatments, prayer, and adjustments from the chiropractor will be more than enough to get him healthy again. Good times, huh! This cold and flu season has been a nasty one. I'm looking forward to summer for that reason for sure!

No comments: