Tuesday, March 18, 2008

BEES!

So about an hour ago, my next door neighbor was ringing my doorbell repeatedly (and I even have a sign on it saying to please knock... since the kids could wake up during naptime)... which it was naptime. And I went to the door and saw who it was, and opened it up. He said, "Don't open your garage... there is a bee swarm in the tree right outside your garage- there's probably 5-10 thousand bees in it... and don't let the kids outside." And another neighbor had pulled up in his car and said he called the fire department, but they said we have to call pest control. So I thanked him, and called Zach to let him know. He came right home (another huge blessing about him working so close to home!), and was amazed at what he saw. In the tree by our garage, there's a big black looking thing about the size of a watermelon- and it's all bees! So he called our landlord right away, who in turn called a bee company to see what to do. They advised us to be cautious and wait a little bit. What bee swarms tend to do is stop somewhere on their way to their colony on their commute.... and lucky us, they picked our tree! So we have to wait until morning tomorrow to see if they're still there, and if they are we will let our landlord know, and we'll go from there. I looked it up online, and it says that this happens each year when the colonies look for a new home- they land somewhere, and send out a few bees to go find a new home for them to live. Then once they've found a place, the swarm leaves- it could take a few hours up to several days.

It's a wierd feeling to know there's a huge swarm right outside our house. All I know is that God is certainly protecting us because the kids and I got home about an hour and a half before this swarm showed up- and I had all the doors wide open to my garage, my house, my van- and we park right where the swarm is. He truly does protect us- thank you God! So that's my excitement for the day. I feel funny and a little anxious to know theres a swarm out there, but I also know that God is watching over us and will keep us safe. Pretty crazy, huh!

No comments: