Sunday, November 2, 2008

Zach's Wrist

So last week- Sunday evening, we all went to watch Zach play flag football. He's on a team with our family- my brother in law, and some cousins. It's a league with our church, and it's been pretty fun to watch them get out there. Well, at the beginning of the game last week, Zach was diving for a flag and landed on his wrist wrong. It hurt the whole game, and after he told me he thought he did something to it. I was thinking that he was fine, and he maybe just jammed it or something.

So we went home, and I suggested he see our next door neighbor, who is a physician- just knock on his door and see if he would kindly take a quick peek at it. So he did, and our neighbor was amazing and looked at it, and said it probably was fractured, and he would need to get xrays done. But he said it needed to be splinted and insisted on taking Zach to his office and doing that for him. Nice neighbor huh? (This is why we love our neighborhood and our neighbors, and would live here forever if we could, but we're renting and we'll see what happens because we'd love to buy a house sometime if the right one came up at the right price........anyways, that's totally off the subject)... So Zach got xrays taken of it the next morning (Monday morning), and they showed that he had a broken bone in his wrist- the scaphoid bone. And it's a bone that doesn't heal very well and may need surgery.... yikes.... so he was referred to an orthopedic surgeon. He made an appointment with them for Wednesday afternoon. Then he went to that appointment, and found out that he had two options- a cast all the way up over his elbow by his bicept for 8-12 weeks, and that would be an 80% chance of the bone healing and having pretty much no use of that arm for that long (hello, that would be so hard for me- I don't mean to be selfish, but we have three kids!) or option number 2 was to have surgery. The surgery would be to have a little incision where the break is, and they would place a screw into the bone to help it heal back together properly and the screw would stay there forever (that's the part that Zach didn't like about that idea... a screw in his arm forever). It was a tough decision, and he went to that appointment by himself, and called me as soon as he knew what was happening. He had to decide right there because if he wanted the cast, they would do it right then... and if the surgery, they'd need to schedule it for pretty soon. (another side note- the place we were referred to for the surgery is a place where one of the Drs (Dr S) goes to the church we go to and of course where Zach works, and he has triplets that are in 6th grade, and Zach is the 6th grade pastor... so he went in the room to talk to Zach a little about the surgery- isn't God good? He is absolutely in EVERYTHING, and I'm so thankful!) Well, he decided to have the surgery, and they scheduled it for the next day (Thursday). So I took him in at 11am, and he was in surgery by 1pm. The surgery lasted about 40 minutes, and the Dr. (Dr. W) came out and showed me the x-ray, and seemed pretty proud of the placement calling it "perfect", which was comforting that he was confident enough to show me the xray (not that I had any idea what I was even looking at, but hey, and I also know that Dr. S checked out the x-ray and said that the placement was great- awesome!). So he's been home recovering since then (but hasn't had to take any pain meds since Friday night), and he's doing great. He's learning to use one arm for things, although there is frustration that goes along with it... for Zach and for me too. He wants so badly to help out with things that he normally jumps in with regarding the kids, taking care of the house, anything that needs to be done. And he can't really do that right now. It's amazing that pretty much everything that is done uses your wrist. But we're getting through it, and learning how to better communicate with each other. Another God thing here- Zach was scheduled to have this weekend off already, so he's had time to recover without being at work, and still has one more day before he has to be back to work. So again, thank you God! His timing is just perfect in everything. He's well enough that we've been doing fun things together as a family too, we went trick or treating on Friday with my parents and sisters and brother in law, and had dinner at my parents house to celebrate my moms birthday and sister Julie's birthday and brother in law Trevors birthday, and that was really fun (I'll blog more about Halloween and trick or treating later, I just can't put pics on here because we're having computer issues right now, sorry!)... and we went to church together last night (and were totally inspired by the guy who spoke too- he's the author of this book called The ABC's of Financial Freedom), and then today we took the kids to the fair (it was free admission from 10am-12pm, and that was fun too!).....

So we're doing pretty good all in all. I'm learning that I'm capable of more than I realized. God gives me the strength and energy I need to do what needs to be done, and I fully believe it comes from Him. Because there's no way I could be getting it anywhere else- it's a lot of work lately, and it's really tiring. But I'm up for it (this is also a pep talk for myself, so don't mind me), and it's all good! Zach will be healed before we know it. Oh, I forgot to say what the plan is for that... he'll be in this splint for 2-3 weeks, and then after that they will make a more removable splint for him so he can start moving his wrist around and getting his range of motion back. For anyone who is reading this and prays, prayer for Zach would be so greatly appreciated. Please pray that he fully recovers from this- that his wrist would get his full range of motion back, and that he doesn't develop arthritis from this injury (that sometimes can happen), and that we continue to find our groove with doing things here at home. And that he gets the hang of doing simple things like get dressed and shower with one hand (it's tough he's finding)... but his spirits are high and I know he's gonna be just fine! So that's the long story of what's going on with Zach's wrist. Lately my blog posts have been SO long!

No comments: