Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dane, Danny and Preschool



Well, this is a little preschool project that Dane got to take home- a stuffed little dinosaur he got to hang out with and then we wrote about it. We're trying to figure Dane out with preschool- he's just not into it. He gets bummed on the days he has to go, and asks me each time if he can stay home. When I pick him up from school, I can't tell if he's had that great of a time. And for him, he's usually a pretty animated little guy, so we're trying to figure out what is up with that. He gets along pretty well with Jett now, and I think he'd rather just stay home and play with him. He doesn't want to miss out at home, and I think that's part of it too.

I've gone back and forth about this- do I just pull him out and start preschool next year- he has another year of preschool left after this one. And he'll be in school his whole life after that! So I hate to make him go, if he doesn't want to. Zach and I talked about it many times, and we're still not sure on whether to keep him home the rest of this school year or encourage him to go. If he stayed home this year, I would work with him on his letters and numbers, and that will motivate me to be more organized. He's even asked me, why can't we just have school at home? Why can't you be my teacher? So who knows what will happen. Either way, he'll do great.

I'd originally written in this post that we were going to have him stay home this year, but after Zach and I talking some more about it we're going to wait and see a bit. We're working on figuring out why he's saying he doesn't want to go, and we're going to be praying about it too. Both Zach and I tend to want to make decisions based on our emotions, so we want to be sure of what is right for Dane and for our family. So we shall see!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Lisa--I joined a great group on meetup.com that is for families with kids who aren't yet in preschool/school. They do field trips, science days, etc. It's all about supporting kids educationally without them being in school. Average age is around 3 I think. It might be perfect for Dane?

Email me if you want more info stephanie.starks (at) gmail (dot) com. Your family is so precious!

Love to you all!