We went to a really neat park there, just did some hanging out and watching shows together in the evening once the kids were in bed, Vince's spaghetti one night (it's tradition! and we get to see more of Zach's wonderful family), Golden Spoon frozen yogurt on our way home from spaghetti (also becoming a tradition!), and fun playing in her lush grassy front yard. This is the house that Zach grew up having sleepovers in, and spending time with his Grandma. So it's very special to him, and to me as well.
We went to church on Sunday morning, and it's the same church she's gone to for years. Zach actually went there when he lived in California for two years also. It's a presbeteryan church, and the kids sat with us during service. I was nervous they would be way too loud, but they did great. They did have a little nursery for Jett, so we did take him there. After service, they had donuts and lemonade in the fellowship hall, and Teda leaned over to me and said, "I LOVE this church mommy!" Who wouldn't love church when you get to sit with mommy and daddy and get donuts after!
On our way home from church something crazy happened. I think it really bonded Grandma Bonnie and I like never before... I was driving, and pulling onto the freeway, and we heard this huge thump. I looked into the rearview mirror to see what it could be, and it was Zach's Bible. He'd left it on top of the van, and it flew off. Papers. flying. everywhere. He had so many important papers in there that he wanted to save. And his Bible was very special and important to him. He was dumbfounded. He wanted me to stop right then and there, but there was no shoulder at that point because they were doing some roadwork. I had to go around about a mile, and get back onto the freeway. We stopped on the shoulder of the road, and Zach got out and started picking up papers. Shoulders slumped, I knew he was devastated.
While Zach was devastated, his Grandma was very nervous. Afterall, we were on the FREEWAY. He continued to pick up papers, and he had to run into a lane to get the bulk of the Bible that we'd watched get run over and over. That was nerve racking. Nothing more nerveracking than this though- before we knew what hit us, he ran across the two lanes in to the left shoulder. If you can call it that. You know how on the left side of the freeway, there's not much room from the edge. So he's picking up more papers on the left side. I thought his Grandma might have a heart attack right there- not really, but you know what I mean! I knew those papers meant a lot to him, but I still think that was a bad move to run across traffic to that side of the freeway. Grandma Bonnie ended up just closing her eyes and saying, "Tell me once he's back on the right side." He did end up coming back, and quietly got into the van with the mess of a Bible. The kids were concerned for him, and kept telling him that we'll get a new one. Luckily, I don't think they got what he was doing, and how dangerous it was. I was just thinking, he could've tripped on his way running back to the right side of the freeway. Those cars are going at least 65 miles an hour. He would've been dead right before our eyes. Luckily, he didn't. But still.
Can you see I'm not quite over this? I thought I was, but once I got to typing, I realized that was not cool. We did talk about it, and he did end up apologizing to his grandma, for nearly giving her a heart attack. She was very sorry that he lost his Bible, and gave him money to replace it. She's just an amazing woman- so generous.
So that was the big event of the California trip- picking up the pieces of his Bible off the freeway. I don't think I'll ever forget that! I'm just thankful he is safe and all in one piece. Zach, if you're reading, never do that again!!! :)
Anyways, all in all, it was a nice trip and I'm glad we went. Here are a few pictures I took. Hope you are having a great week so far!
Grandma reading to the kids

No comments:
Post a Comment