I guess when they got there, she really wasn't too into it though. Zach felt like she didn't even want to be there with him. She wasn't herself, she was pushing him away when he tried to pick her up, and even snapped at him when he was trying to talk to her at one point.
When they got home, Zach looked pretty discouraged and frustrated. He told me a little of what happened, and I went in to try and talk to her to find out what was up. She told me several times that it was loud, and there were a lot of people. She said that she yelled at daddy once, and even knocked a girl over while dancing accidentally. I asked why she thought she yelled at daddy. She just kept saying it was loud. She also said she got pretty tired, but didn't want to tell Zach. I said why not, and she said because he wouldn't have been able to hear her. I think she was just overwhelmed by the whole thing. I asked if she was just overwhelmed, and she said, what does that mean? After explaining what it means, she said yes, she was overwhelmed. I let her know that when she yelled at daddy, and wasn't very nice to him, it hurt his heart and made him sad. He thought she didn't want to be there with him. She said she did. I let her know that she can always tell her daddy anything, and that he wants to hear from her. I just think it was all too much for her. Then I helped her get the make up off with a wet wash cloth, and she looked in the mirror and said, I feel so clean! It's almost like she felt more like Teda again, and was refreshed. All the curled hair, dressed up, make up on, was fun for a while- but not her. I can see how that all would feel pretty overwhelming.
After sharing all that with Zach, he felt bad. Looking back, he could see it. He wished he would've taken her outside and asked her if she was okay and how she was doing. Instead, he just thought she was being sassy and ignoring him. Not really the case. I am curious as to why she didn't just tell him she didn't want to be there. Could be that it seemed like everyone else was having fun, and she felt like she should be too. Or that she wanted to please her daddy, and thought he would be upset if she told him how she was feeling. Isn't it amazing how we want so much to be loved by our dads, that we'd just endure something we don't even like? Maybe not everyone is like that, but I totally am. Who knows if that is what happened, but it's just a guess.
The three of us talked about it as we put her to bed, and I think that helped reconnect Zach and Teda. I asked if she'd like to go on another date with daddy, and this time do something different. She suggested they bring a game and play it together. Sounds much more soothing and fun. Just the two of them, somewhere a little more quiet, to have some fun. I guess the party atmosphere with lots of people, music, and dancing is not her cup of tea at the moment. She's her mama's daughter for sure! :) (I'm not much for all that either) :)
I hope she always talks to me like she did that night. She opened right up when I asked her about it. She let me probe and ask more questions, without getting annoyed or bothered. I hope we're always able to be that open, and that she always wants to talk and share her feelings.
Here are some pictures- they turned out great!!
Daddy putting on her new necklace

A corsage for his princess

Daddy adoring his daughter

They're silly







No comments:
Post a Comment