I can't believe you're 5 now. I still remember how tiny you were when they handed you to me, the moment after you were born. I just cried because I was overwhelmed with so many emotions, mostly just being so happy you were finally here and wow, you were just so beautiful. I remember getting you home from the hospital, and your daddy and I just sitting you in your little car seat (you didn't even fill it out, you were so small), and putting you on our couch. We just sat and stared at you, and I started crying so hard, because I was scared and didn't know how to be your mommy. What would I do when you cried, and how would I know what you needed and how to take care of you? It was all so overwhelming. In the next several weeks, we began to work it all out- and I began learning how to be a mommy to Teda Lee Shepherd. I'm still learning, and think I will always be learning. But now after 5 years, I for sure get it more than I did when we first brought you home from the hospital!
In these last 5 years, we've learned many things. You and I have gotten to know each other quite well, and now I feel like I can anticipate a need you have before you even ask. You are our princess, and I can't tell you how thankful I am that God let us be your mommy and daddy. It's such a pleasure and an honor- you brighten my days, bring joy to my heart, and light to my soul. You've brought joy and happiness to MANY people's lives already, and I just love that I get to watch God work in your life, and I can't wait to see what else He has in store for you.
You are the most beautiful little girl I've ever seen, and I can just get lost in your eyes. I'm so thankful for the touch of your hand in mine, and the gentle kisses you give me throughout the days just to let me know you love me. I love you too, baby girl. You are so smart too- you'll be in kindergarten next year, and you absolutely cannot wait. You're writing your first, middle, and last name- it's so awesome. And you can spell anything if I just tell you the letters to write.
You love dolls right now. You could spend a lot of time in your room (you have your own pink room now that we've moved into our new house), just playing with your Baby Alive doll, and trying on your new dresses you got for your birthday. :) You are a social girl, but you definitely like your own space, and alone time. When put into a social situation, you don't usually just walk up to people and initiate conversation. You kinda hang back and observe until you're sure you are ready to join in. But you have many friends at school.
As I pulled up yesterday to pick you up from preschool, your class was still on the playground. You had your sweet little pink construction paper crown on that your teacher made, with your name glittered on, and a big shiny "5" at the top. I spotted you right away. You went running to your teacher, who was pushing two girls on the swings, and you misjudged it, and a little girl on the swings accidentally kicked you right in the ear. You just got your ears pierced (so cute by the way), and so you're very sensitive in that area. Your teacher just held you and hugged you as you cried and cried, holding your ear. I wanted to go to you, but I knew that it wasn't the right time. I let the teacher hold you, and watched to see what would happen next. Your friend, Allie, ran over as she saw what happened, shimmied her way under the girl still swinging (she later came over and said sorry too), and got your crown that had fallen off. She dusted it off, and went to you, to give it back and see if you were okay. Then Carley came to see what happened, and if you were okay. Next, Smith ran from across the playground to come and check on you. My heart just swelled with joy, love, thankfulness, and appreciation as I watched all this happen. Teda, you are a good friend and that is why they came to see if you were okay and let you know they cared.
I wanted to just come over, pick you up over the fence, and hold you. But I watched as the teacher did just what I would've done. It was hard in a way for me, and I realized I'm beginning to have to let go just a bit. And to trust that as I leave you at school, and later at other activities and friends houses, that God has you right in the palm of His hand. You are His child, and He is watching over you, my sweet girl.
Well, just a few more of your favorite things- you have pink frosted mini wheats each morning for breakfast - a creature of habit. That's me too. :) You love bagels with cream cheese too, Chick Fil A (and the polynesean sauce is your absolute favorite), you want to be a mermaid and a fairy when you grow up, you and Dane love to play together- and Jett is starting to play with you guys too, you're an incredible big sister, you love the big backyard at church (the class you go to), singing with the big kids at daddy's work (6th grade pastor at our church), spending time with your grandma and playing dress up at her house- really doing anything at her and papa's house, you can go across the monkey bars all by yourself now, you would prefer to just eat the frosting off of a cupcake, and leave the cake part (that's my girl- you're just like me!), you love your dance class you've been taking, and you are into any kind of dress that's twirly (provided that it's pink or purple). You have a fiesty little side to you- for example- you put up a fight to get your clothes on this morning for about an hour, saying you were too cold and the inside of your clothes were too cold... but we got through it.
I know there will be many more of those times when it gets hard, and life is just hard sometimes. But we get through it. With God's help, He shows us the way. I'm just excited for this next year to see how much you will grow and what new things you'll be into then. I love you, my sweet girl.
Love,
Mommy
Here's you the day you were born...
One year old- with grammy
Two years old
Three years old with Auntie Ra Ra
Five years old with Daddy
ps- I'll be posting pics from Teda's birthday party soon! :)

1 comment:
Lisa,
What a God given gift you have....
You are such a creative writer!
Teda will sure treasure those birthday letters forever.
Love, Lynn
Post a Comment