Monday, August 18, 2008

School Shopping

I have some great memories of my grandma taking my sisters and cousins and me school shopping just before the new school year would start. It was a tradition, and we totally looked forward to it. This may sound wierd, but I get nostalgic just being around the back to school displays at places like Target and Wal-mart because of the smell. I know, the smell? Yes! It totally has it's own smell- maybe the smell of the paper and folders and stuff? Really!

Well, we've started that tradition with Teda! For weeks we've been talking to Teda about how much fun it will be when grandma takes her school shopping to get some clothes and a backpack, and she has been super excited to pick out a lunch bag too (even though she won't be at preschool for lunch :)).

This afternoon my mom and Teda and I went to Target to go back to school shopping. I think I may have been more excited than she was! And my mom was saying that it was bringing back all kinds of memories from taking us each year. It was really fun to focus solely on Teda- something I rarely do, and it made me really appreciate her so much more. She was bouncing off the walls almost the whole time- she loved the extra attention, and we were happy to give it. She is very particular, so picking out clothes was funny- I'm glad she was with us because my mom and I decided we would've picked out all the stuff she didn't like. We went into the dressing room with her, and that was too fun. We could tell what she liked because she would jump up and down in the mirror and smile really big at herself.

At one point I left to go get another size of something, and when I came back, she had on her favorite outfit (this cute green shirt with black leggings), and another pair of leggings over those. My mom told me she started to tell her she couldn't do that, and then decided why not? It's so not worth it- she's having fun. And she's so right! And I know me- I can almost bet you I would've not let her do that, because we're trying on clothes, not messing around. My mom is so wise, I learn so much from her. There are just some things that aren't worth the battle. Because why would I be "fighting" her about something like that? It was an eye opener for me- I need to lighten up!

And my sister Sarah came towards the end to say hi and she needed a few things from the store too. As soon as she saw Ra Ra, she ran right up to her and only wanted to be with her for the rest of the time. It was really cute.

Anyways, we had a great time. I look forward to carrying on this tradition each year. :)

1 comment:

Jensen Family said...

I loved going back to school shopping as a kid!!! I'm trying to remember the smell right now. It's fun to experience it now as a parent. I think Joleigh got the same outfit with the green shirt and leggings, surprise, surprise! They can wear it and be twins. :)