Friday, May 8, 2009

Zach's Back In Full Effect


Zach went to the allergist yesterday (he's a friend of ours, he's the one we took Jett to see last week). He gets really bad allergies when the seasons change, well really he has allergy symptoms most of the year. I didn't realize how bad it was until yesterday. They do this test on your back where they poke you with a little bit of whatever the allergen is (77 of them to be exact- ranging from different types of weeds, trees, grasses, dogs, cats, molds, etc), and then if there's a reaction, that helps determine if you're allergic and how bad it is. Once they do all the pokes, they wait 15 minutes to see what kind of reaction, if any, there was. The nurse came back into the room to check his back, and she was like, "Oh wow, let me get someone else in here to help me read this." Yikes. It was so bad, his back was a big red mess with welts all over it! He was allergic to basically everything there is to be allergic to! And some of them, he's off the charts on too. He's allergic to basically every kind of weed, tree, grass, some molds, dogs, and he's off the charts on cats. They gave him some eye drops and three different kinds of nasal sprays to use. If those work well, he's a candidate for possible allergy shots. They inject you with a little bit of the allergen and it helps you develop an immunity to those things. He would have to take them for four years- it's a long term thing- it's not a quick fix. My poor husband!

You know it's funny, we used to go to a Bible Study at our neighbors house and they had cats. He finally figured out why he felt so crummy every time we went there, and I didn't want him to make the family feel bad by saying anything to them. I feel so bad- I didn't realize how allergic he was and how much it affected him. He said that now he feels much more validated that this is a big problem. He's just been trying to deal with it. And I totally can't relate because I don't have allergies. Poor guy!

His back was so bad that the dr. took a picture for him, and here it is. Ouch!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh yikes. Tell him I'm so sorry. I was 3 then 8 when they did this to me and I remember it vividly. I can't imagine how much more it hurts as an adult. Hope he can do the shots- they really do help. Keep us updated.