
When we take the kids swimming, we tell Dane that if he has to go potty, he can pee in the rocks by the pool. And he loves to do that- I think he thinks it's pretty cool and exciting. So he's gotten really good at that.
So good, that we were at the library this week, and I was getting the kids into the car when we were done. Well, as I'm putting Jett in his seat, I see Dane walk to the front of the van, by a tree with some rocks. He bent down, and I was thinking he was examining a rock or something. I called his name, and no answer. I finished buckling Jett, and Dane coame and hopped into the van on the other side of me. He said, "I peed in the rocks." I was a little surprised by that, and I said, "You were playing in the rocks?" He said, "No, I peed in the rocks." I said, "Where?" I'm sure he was thinking, mom did you not hear me the first time? But he went along with it and said, "Right there, in the rocks." So I told him that I was proud of him that he didn't go in his pants, but that we need to use the bathroom to go potty when we're not at the pool. But I said it while giggling a little. So I'm sure he didn't hear or take in a word I said.
Fast forward to this evening. Teda was (well, is) spending the night at my parent's house for a special sleep over (and Dane's turn is next!), and so I just had the boys with me at church tonight (which was so awesome- only having 2 kids at a time is such a nice break). Well, we went to dinner after service, and then we went to the big grass field to play. They have tons of balls and hula hoops and things out for the families to play with. Dane and I were playing catch with a football, and I see the "look" on Dane's face. The "I think I may pee my pants look". And before I could even realize what he was doing, he pulled down his shorts, and began to pull down his underwear and it dawned on me, oh boy- Dane is totally going to pee in the middle of this field, with tons of people around! Move it, Lisa! So I ran over to him and discreetly pulled up his shorts, and said, "Oh buddy, let's go potty in the bathroom." So I swooped up Jett, and helped Dane get his shoes on, and started walking him to the bathroom. He was trying to walk towards some rocks, and said, "I need to pee in the rocks." And I told him that we can only pee in the rocks when we're by the pool. He didn't get it. Why would he? He's barely 3! Anyways, there were about 6 adults very close by that saw all this happen, and as we walked by, they said they couldn't believe I caught him before he did it, and that their kids would do the same thing! That made me feel better, and all the while, I'm trying not to crack up, and wishing Zach could've been there to witness this. It was funny.
And I so appreciate his innocence, in that he doesn't know to care or worry one bit about what others think of him. Not for even one second. And I know I have to protect him, and help him to know what's "socially acceptable", but I also want to keep his innocence in tact while doing so. Is that possible? I hope so. I could learn a lot from him. Who cares what others think about me? Why do I worry about those things? What a complete waste of time. Food for thought for me...
Anyways, I'm still blown away and completely excited that Dane is potty trained. He's sleeping through the night and through naps dry too. It's amazing, and I couldn't be happier! I don't know what happened, but some sort of switch flipped for him just before he turned three. It's awesome! Now if only I could figure out where the "Listen to your mom the first time and obey" switch is... in due time I'm sure. Maybe....


No comments:
Post a Comment