Thursday, April 23, 2009

Overwhelmed

I feel that emotion OFTEN lately. Whether it's being overwhelmed by the sometimes difficulty of having three kids so close in age, needing me all the time- for a range from helping them on the potty, changing diapers, getting drinks and snacks, playing (I need to do that more), turning on a show (I need to do this less), dressing them, etc etc etc; or overwhelmed when I take them anywhere that requires me getting something done- like Target, grocery shopping, etc. I leave those places feeling crazier than when I arrived. Will this ever get better? I had a few people tell me this week that when the kids get older, it doesn't get better. How disheartening was that to hear... but I think that they just don't remember how hard this young stage is. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Jett was at the dr again today. Every time he gets a cold, it goes straight to his chest, and he gets what the drs call "wheezy". And thus needs breathing treatments and anti-inflammatory steriods for his lungs. This is the worst one yet. I get scared when he coughs because he really has ttouble breathing through it. I hate this. And the dr wants to put him on this oral steroid again, and also start him on another medication that I will give him through breathing treatments two times a day, it's called Pulmicort. It's also a steriod, and she said he'll have to take it for several months, and then they'll re evaluate and maybe be able to wean him down to one a day. I don't like that at all. And I'm not sure if I'm going to do it. I think I need a second opinion. She said he's pre- asthmatic, and this is basically our only chance to keep him from getting full blown asthma. Poor kid. He's in his room, just woke up, hardly has a voice, and is just quietly crying. When he gets riled up, it's too hard for him to breathe, and I think he's figuring that out. So he's keeping still to help him breathe better. So sad. And it's almost time for his breathing treatment, and I should go snuggle him and try and soothe him.

Being a mom is really hard today.

2 comments:

stephanie said...

chocolate. you definitely need some chocolate.

and more importantly prayers... from another mom who knows what its like to lose your mind on a daily basis.

hang in there. so, it may not get easier, but we are all in this thing together. :)

Erin said...

Hey- Sorry I didn't get to this post sooner. Glad you are feeling better. Please know that every mom, stay at home or working, feels overwhelmed at times. And, I can't say it gets easier when they are older, but it's different. It becomes more of an emotional drain, but the physical side is much easier- they can do a lot for themselves. So just know that when we feel pushed to our limits it's time to reach out to our husbands and friends and tell them we need help. And I know your husband and friends- they will be happy to help you :) And chocolate helps too- I just ate a bite sized Snickers bar for breakfast- HA. Love you Lisa.