Thursday, July 29, 2010

Deklan Eugene... the story of how he came to greet us!!

Deklan Eugene Shepherd, born July 20th, 2010
6lb, 20.5in
Sweet as can be!
Nicknames so far: Little Chicken Wing (guess who gave him that one- daddy of course, he is just like a little chicken wing- so tiny!); Peanut; Little Bean; Decky; Baby Duckling (my friend Nicole's kids call him that- funny huh!)

I know, I know, I should totally be sleeping while my kids sleep- they're napping right now. But if I do that, then how will you get to see our new little peanut? He is ADORABLE. My labor went pretty well- I got in at 5am, they got me all hooked up and started my iv and pitocin at 6am... I wanted to wait as long as I could before I got my epidural. At first it was no big deal- I though, I can totally handle this! By like 10am, I was starting to really feel it, and all I could think was that when the nurse comes back in to check my cervix, I'm going to be like 5cm... so I kept waiting it out, and breathing. Zach and I started playing sequence...I checked out a magazine my mom brought in. My grandma and mom came to say hi, and were hanging out with us. Then the contractions started feeling really strong, and they went into the waiting room.

I just have to say that I'm WAY more fun in the delivery room when I have an epidural... so then the nurse came in at 11am, and checked me... up, you're still the same- 2cm dialated. WHAT!?!?!? I was SO discouraged, and felt like just giving up and going home! Zach was trying to give me pep talks to just be brave and it's all mind over matter... but it wasn't helping really. He was trying though. :) We had been waiting for a while for my dr. to come and break my water... so he came at 12:30pm, checked me- I was at 3.5, and he broke my water. Then I decided to have the epidural. I figured, ok now I know what it feels like to have my water break without an epidural, and I've had 6 1/2 hours of labor without it too. Go me! I was ready for the relief, the rest, and the happiness that an epidural brings me (sounds so bad!)... so I got it at 1pm. AHHHHHHHHHH, then I rested until like 3pm, lights out, Zach in the pull out bed, and me in my bed. It was nice to get that rest.

Then the nurse came in at 3:30, and by that time my mom, grandma and sister Sarah were back in the room with me (oh, and Sarah and Trevor made these awesome signs that Zach hung up all over the room- it was awesome), and life was great again... I was dialated to 7! So she told me to call her if I started to feel any pressure down there... I worried about that because I've never been able to feel that with my other three bc the epidurals must've been so strong. But this time, the epidural was beginning to wear off, and I'm so thankful because I could feel the pressure. So Zach got the nurse, and I was at an 8 at 4pm. We just kept chatting, and I am still feeling a lot of pressure, and it's getting stronger and stronger. So I had Zach go back at like 4:20 to tell her it's getting stronger and I think it's almost time to push- the sensation to push was really strong, and hard not to push. I started to worry that he was going to come out before they got in the room! In what seemed like a lifetime, the nurse came in, checked me, and I was at a 10 and ready to push... so they called in my dr. He came pretty quickly, and I was just watching him get his gear on- gloves, jacket, etc, and thinking, he's going to miss this baby coming out- and trying not to push was sooo hard! Then once all was on for my dr., he said go ahead and push. Two pushes (not even hard ones!), and he was out. He just came right out! Everyone was guessing he was between 7 1/2 and 8lb, and out comes this little peanut- 6lb! He was just so sweet, and we're so happy he's here!

He's doing pretty well- he's still not back to his birth weight, so the pediatrician is having us feed him all the time, and that is TIRING! He thinks that it's time to be awake at night, and asleep during the day, so that's fun too- just like all new babies right?! The kids just ADORE him, and want to be near him all the time. And we're adjusting to having 4 kids now... it's crazy, but awesome at the same time.

I feel delirious often during the day and night, but God is so good, and He's giving me all that I need. I could not do this without Him, hands down. Zach just started his new job yesterday, so this is day 2 of life as a stay at home mommy to 4 kids. The kids are really great, and they've been playing pretty well together, and I will say I've been letting them watch movies more than normal, but I'm okay with that. Jett is having the hardest time I think. Zach said it perfectly last night, "Honey, he's 2, and he just lost his baby status..." That pretty much sums up life for Jett right now, so he's working through that. I can't believe how big he looks now that we have a little newborn... it's crazy!

I'm just starting to feel good again- the first week was VERY HARD for me- I was crying at the drop of a hat all the time. For any reason you can think of. I couldn't see that I was going to feel better any time soon. Life felt very very dark, and it's a scary place to be there feeling so hopeless and lost. I was worried that I'd be overtaken by those feelings for the next 8 weeks or so, but you know what? I am feeling better each day, and I'm so thankful for that. God is good!!!!

I have to say also that my family is AMAZING- they have been so wonderful during this time. My mom has been taking Teda and Dane to get their school stuff they need, and they threw Dane his birthday party last Saturday- my mom took him to get all his party stuff, and it was awesome. The party went great, and Dane felt so special. And my sisters are just incredible- calling and checking on me all the time, asking if there's anything they can do, etc. Julie came over yesterday to watch the kids while I took a little nap, and she's coming over tomorrow to watch the kids while I take Deklan to the dr for a weight check. Friends calling to see how I'm doing, and how we're doing. Too cool. Our friends and family have been bringing over dinners, which is so awesome and we're super grateful. We're just surrounded by support, and I don't really have the words to express how much that means to us. Anyways, this is getting long- but I just have so much to say! Here are some great pics we have so far...

Precious little guy!
Our first pictures as a family of 6! This was when the kids came to visit at the hospital...
Totally excited about their new baby brother, and happy to see mommy and daddy!
Jetty holding Deklan- he said "can I touch his eye?!"
Proud grandparents- grandbaby number 5 for grandma and papa
Zach, Lisa, and baby Deklan

Silly

He was a little jaundice, so here he is sunbathing by the window...
What a little peanut, huh!
Proud big sister
Proud big brother


2 comments:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

Oh Lisa, he is so beautiful! So happy that everything is coming together and that those around you are supporting you guys. I am just smiling at the precious photos!

stephanie said...

congratulations!!!

i'm just getting caught up on everything over here. so glad you are doing well and your family is adjusting. i'll be praying for you.

great pictures!