Friday, July 18, 2008
Lessons Learned at Costco
This morning was just sort of a blah morning. The kids and I were sort of dragging, and just not doing much of anything. They were bored, and I was tired (last night was long because Teda was up a few times- she's got a cough that's been keeping her up). So anyways, I got us all ready and decided that we were going to go somewhere. Not sure where, just somewhere that wasn't home. Breaking out of our rut, I guess you could say. So I decided we would go to Costco and have lunch (so cheap, so good) and maybe push the cart around a bit and dream of all the bulk things I would buy if I had a million dollars. (it's funny how my dreams of what I would buy if I had an endless supply of money have changed now that I have a family- it's not nice cars, a new home, tons of clothes.... now it's dried blueberries, a huge bag of almonds, room to go out to eat anytime, or just a spontaneous buy from Costco of something that looks cool... wierd, huh) Well, so here we are at Costco for lunch. We get our lunch (which in and of itself is a challenge with three kids, but we did it :))... and we sit down. A nice older lady sat at the table next to us, and was admiring the kids. We got to talking a little (in between me looking back at the kids to be sure they were okay, and picking up dane's hot dog off the ground and throwing away the half of the bun that was touching the ground.) I found out her name is Mary, and she now lives in Arizona to be closer to her sister (she moved after her husband passed away.) I asked her if she didn't mind telling me how long she was married to her husband, and she didn't It was as if she was taken back to where and when she met him. Her countenance changed a bit and she looked a little brighter. She said they met in high school, and got married when she was 20. They were together for 64 years, and she said he's the only man she ever knew. Wow. That is so awesome. It really made me feel something for this sweet lady. I felt compassion for her. I tried to put myself in her shoes- imagining down the road , after being married to Zach for 64 years- that's 58 years from now.... how just amazingly close we would be. Then to imagine losing him (for the time being until I got to Heaven), but how lonely that would be here. I asked her if that's been hard for her, and she said, "oh yes, he's the only man I knew." I asked her if she knows Jesus, and she perked up and said, "oh yes i do" and I was so glad to hear that. So we talked about how that will be neat when they get to see each other again in Heaven. She told me she lives in a retirement home and never gets to see kids unless she's out somewhere else. So she really enjoyed seeing our kids. Teda and Dane got up and started talking with her a bit. She told them they were good for eating because it makes them strong, and they showed her their muscles. :) And Dane was fascinated with her hands- they were discolored from her aging, and he was touching them and saying "owie, owie, owie" and she wanted to know what he was saying. I reluctantly told her (because I didn't want to make her uncomfortable) and she said, "no, not owie, just old age." He didn't quite understand, but he was okay with it. Kids are just so innocent and curious. I love it. Then the kids started getting quite antsy, and we said our goodbyes. I congratulated her on being married for 64 years, that's quite an accomplishment and so rare these days. But it can be done. My grandparents are well on their way, and they're also an inspiration to me. Marriage is so tough sometimes, but the rewards are so amazing. I'm just so thankful for Zach, and how committed he is to understanding me and being like Christ. I know we will always have our struggles, but it's how we get through them on the other side that I love to look at. That's what makes our testimony. I just have a special appreciation for Zach today after meeing Mary. God used Mary today to remind me how precious my time with Zach is, and how much I love him. How thankful I am for our marriage, and how proud I am of him. He is just crazy about our kids too, and so helpful with them. I just love him! And I was reminded that life is a gift.
Labels:
Life Lessons
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sounds like a divine appointment to me! I'll bet your time with that woman meant as much to her as it did to you. Kids bring such joy to the elderly!
And I've totally done that before...gone to Costco when I just needed 1 thing and walked around with the kids, wandering the aisles and tasting the samples. Hey - when it's 110 outside, you have to get creative!!!
Gosh, I just love reading your blog, Lisa. It seems like everyday you learn all of these really important lessons. You are so good about being introspective and letting God teach you through little moments. I think your blog is so inspirational I just love it! By the way, I am totally jealous. Christian has a family membership with his sister, and parents so I don't have a costco card. :( I would love to go wander costco! I am such a nutty cheapo I don't want to drive anywhere because gas is so expensive. Calvin and I walk to the grocery store and the drug store. They are 3 big hills away and it takes about an hour and a half there and back!
Post a Comment