Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Unique Newborn Gift Idea


I have a really cute idea for a newborn baby gift. Make a birthday cake (or just buy one, whatever works best for you), and write on it, "Happy 0 Birthday ______" (insert the baby's name)... and bring it to the hospital when you go to visit with a candle and matches... maybe even a few balloons. You've just brought a birthday party for this new little one, and you can all sing happy birthday to him/her, have some cake, and celebrate the arrival of this precious little one into the world!

I've done this a few times, and it's been a hit. To me, it feels so good to give a gift that I worked hard on, rather than something I quickly picked up at the store that I'm not even sure will fit or be what was needed/wanted. You know? I have to admit that I came across this idea just before my first baby was born, and I had someone buy a cake and bring it to the hospital. Then our second child came along, and I still had the Happy Birthday banner and put that up in our room, but no cake. Then we just had our third, and he didn't get any part of a birthday party. I'm so bummed that I didn't take the time to do that. Oh well, at least he won't remember! I've got to get better with follow through when it comes to great ideas like these! :)

For more Works For Me Wednesday ideas, visit Rocks In My Dryer!

9 comments:

Heart of Wisdom said...

Cute and original idea.

robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

Annikke said...

What a great idea!!!!

Kama said...

That's a great idea! Will you come to the hospital when I deliver in September??? I LOVE birthday cake!! It's something that I crave... :)

Anonymous said...

Cute! We recently had our second, a girl, and my husband and son bought a cake and brought it to the hospital for her "birthday party." I think my son really enjoyed picking out the cake (and then eating it). We didn't do cake when he was born, poor guy. :)

Anonymous said...

That's a sweet idea :)

Anonymous said...

what a sweet idea!

thediaperdiaries said...

This is a really great idea. Thanks for the very unique tip.

Shelley @ My Treasure Hunt said...

very cute idea!!

Anonymous said...

Perfect! A very thoughtful gift. Thanks for sharing, I'll be hinting the idea for our #2 due in Feb.