My grandpa taught my cousin Camille how to wink when she was just a baby, and he also taught my cousin David how to spit! He had told Teda, once we finish learning this, I'll teach you how to spit. He's funny. I just love spending time with my grandparents. I love the thought that my kids will have such great memories like I do of going to their house and playing in the toy room, and just having fun with them.
Some of my favorite and fondest memories of my grandma and grandpa are from when I would go over there for a sleep over, and we would make popcorn (with a real popcorn maker, and we would get to pour the kernels into the machine...cool when you're little! and for the record, they STILL have that same popcorn maker and bowl that the popcorn went into!). We would also make the BEST peanut butter fudge, and watch Elvis movies together. Such fun!
I can remember at our school we had something called Grandparent's Day, and I remember my grandma coming and picking us up from school and taking us to the mall, and getting corn dog nuggets with cheese dipping sauce (it's funny how detailed memories can be when you really go back there to remember things), and then we went to a movie and also got to go to the candy store and get whatever candy we wanted (I loved getting those teeny tiny little jaw breakers, but they ended up not really even being jaw breakers, they were just tiny little balls of sugar basically. :) Good times. I guess I have a thing with food because a lot of what I remember has to do with food. Hmmm. I guess let's just say the food went with the whole "experience" of it all. :)
And when I was even littler, we had something called grandmas day each week. My grandma would take us grandkids (she has 17 from her 6 kids, but she didn't have all 17 at that time), and we would be at her house for the day. We would have craft time, singing time (and my grandma would sing hymns and play the piano with us), and a Bible story time, lunch time (my favorite meal was macaroni and spam... don't knock it until you try it... it's really good)... and then before our mom's came to get us we would get a prize! And I remember trying to find where the prizes were hidden. It is such an awesome memory, and I'll treasure it forever. One of the best things that came out of grandma's day is that I accepted Jesus Christ into my heart on one of those days. She was teaching us a Bible Story, and afterwards I asked her if she could help me ask Jesus into my heart. I was 5 years old. :) And a few of my other cousins also asked Jesus into their hearts at grandma's day too! That is a legacy that will live on eternally for sure!
They were at most all of my softball games and events. Just so involved and cared so much about our lives and loved us. And it's the same to this day. I can go over there and tell them all about our lives and what's happening, and they seem just as interested now as they were then. It's just cool.
I know Zach has some awesome memories from his grandparents too. Maybe I can get him to get on here and share some.
By the way, today is Zach's Grandma Bonnie's birthday- Happy Birthday Grandma! We love you! And, it's my friend Jackie's birthday too! I miss you!

No comments:
Post a Comment