I needed to post this because I want to remember that life is not about "doing". Even when I think, I just need a few more minutes, if they would just leave me alone for another minute so I can finish ___________... fill in the blank: dinner, laundry, bills, blogging even, checking my email, straightening up, etc. I don't want them to think that I'm too busy for them with things that are SO not important in the big picture. My relationship with them is so much more important than having a clean house. I seem to forget that or ignore that almost daily. And the truth is that just minutes after I've cleaned the house, it's messy again. But if I will take the time to sit with my kids, spend time with them, enjoy them (because they're just so much fun to be with), that is so much more beneficial than always doing and them figuring out how to keep themselves entertained while I'm flying past them this way and that all through the house. Yikes, this is something I really need to work on. Balance. That's the lesson of my life- balance.
You know, as I am typing this, I have to say something else. Zach is SO good at really being with the kids when he's home. He's playing with them right now- playing little people, and cars on their little car race track that our friends just gave us. He gets right down on their level and will wrestle around and play. The other day he was playing this hilarious game with them- Elephant. He took Jett's bumbo seat and put it on his head, and was crawling around like an elephant, making the noises and all. And Teda had a little toy animal, and was pretending it was a mouse- because you know elephants are scared of mice. So she would put it by his feet and say, "Squeek!" And Zach would buck around and scream, and scamper back to his blocked off "cage" in the front corner of the room. Then the kids would run into their rooms and count to 10, and come find the elephant and do it all over again. He's just so creative with little games for them. I can learn a lot from him.
He also takes them "clubbin" before bed sometimes. We went to the dollar store and got a whole bunch of glow sticks. He takes them in their room and they turn off all the lights, turn on the music and just dance around with their glow sticks. It just makes my heart sing to watch them, it's so adorable. They can be in there for a half hour and I won't hear anything because they're just dancing away. It's SO awesome. I'm not sure who has more fun, the kids or Zach! He's just an amazing daddy to our children, and I feel so thankful for that.

No comments:
Post a Comment