Sunday, January 25, 2009

Potty Talk

Here's a conversation that took place between Dane and me this morning:

Dane runs into the kitchen without his diaper or his pajama shorts on....
ME: Dane, where did your clothes go? Did you go potty somewhere? (it's my natural response since he's been going everyehwere but the toilet lately...)
DANE: Yeah, on da shelf.
ME: What? On the bookshelf? All over the books? (I must've looked horrified, and I was just preparing myself for all their books to have pee all over them. I was telling myself, it's okay Lisa. So you have to throw them all away- it's okay. Seriously, it is Lisa...)
DANE: No.
ME: What shelf did you go on? Where did you go?
DANE: On da shelf.
ME: confused, not sure what he means... I see Zach walk into the kitchen. "Show Daddy where you went." (I know, I totally passed him off to Zach!)

So Dane ran with Zach to show him where he went potty. They come out a minute later and Zach tells me that he showed him into the bathroom on the toilet seat, where he'd peed in the toilet and a little on the seat part. He stands up when he pees now, and had gone a little on the seat (AKA in Dane language, the shelf). How funny is that! And how relieved was I! And who would've known- there is another meaning to the word shelf that I never knew! I'll bet the next time you go to the bathroom, you'll look at the toilet seat and think, shelf. There is so much laughter to be had in this life. I love it!

So a few things to be excited about:
1. Dane went potty by himself on the toilet!
2. Dane didn't pee on his bookshelf!
3. I didn't have to throw away half of my kids books!

Life seriously is not ever dull here in the Shepherd household...

1 comment:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

What a relief! I started out reading this blog feeling SO BAD for you. :)