Friday, November 20, 2009

Fun at Preschool

Yesterday I got to volunteer in Teda's preschool class, and they did some really fun things! I guess on Tuesday this week, one of the kids mentioned something about chop sticks, and the teacher said that would be fun to try eating with them. So she went out and got chop sticks for all the kids to try eating their snacks with. It was so cute! They had chicken nuggets, ramen noodles, and salad with chopsticks!

One of the things I think Teda enjoyed doing was during their "work time", they got out this computer that they'd started to take apart, and gave the kids a bag of all different size screwdrivers, and let them go to town to take it apart. It was so adorable- I heard all sorts of oohs and ahhs, and surprise and anticipation, as they worked very hard to take out screws wherever they could find them, and pull out wires all over. Each time someone pulled something out, they were so excited and proud of themselves. What a cool way to learn and develop their minds. This school is so awesome and creative in how they teach the kids. The kids don't even know they're learning because it's so fun. When I helped out two weeks ago, during their work time, they played with and explored worms! Teda got right in there and enjoyed it!

Here's when they played with worms- her face looks a little grossed out, but it didn't stop her!

They don't go on field trips off campus, they have the places come to them. So yesterday a fire truck came, and the kids got to go in it, pretend to drive, honk the horn (how lucky are we that I volunteered this day because that meant Dane got to do this in his playroom class too!), they played a few games, tried on the firefighter gear, and played a pass the water bucket game. It was very cute. Oh, and they also got to take turns holding the fire hose and shooting water out of it!





It was a packed, fun day. I was exhausted by the end of yesterday. I don't realize it at the time, but those volunteer days are tiring! But great fun. I'm so excited that this is only the beginning of me volunteering in my kids classes. I'm really going to be involved in their school life, and helping out in their classes whenever I can.

Oh yeah, and here's her name- each day they come in and copy their name on a paper. She's doing awesome!

1 comment:

stephanie said...

seriously, that sounds so fun. do they have a preschool for moms?