Saturday, November 7, 2009

What Life is All About...

This past week I got a real wake up call as to what this life is really all about. I have a friend that I went to elementary and high school with, and I found out that he went to sleep on Saturday night, and never woke up. He was 29 years old, married, and has two little ones. Wow. I just was so surprised that that happened, and so very sad for his wife and kids and family and friends who were left here missing him like crazy. I know he knew the Lord, so I'm excited for him that he gets to be in Heaven. But wow, I just couldn't imagine having Zach's time to go and be with the Lord, be anytime soon.

And I was reminded that it's totally not up to me (and I'm really grateful for that). My life here on this Earth is so short compared to eternity. And it could be my time to go, or anyone I love and care for- it could be their time to go, anytime. My God is the Blessed Controller of ALL things, and I believe and trust that to be truth. It's just hard to understand in a case like my friend's. At least right now. I know that God will get the glory, and all this will work out for the good. But not without much pain and grieving. And through the grieving and the pain will come a peace that passes all understanding. And through it all will come growth that couldn't have otherwise happened, if there had not been such a tragedy.

I was reminded of my need for Jesus- He is all I need. Without Him, I'm truly lost. And just being overwhelmed with gratitude that He died to save me and anyone who chooses Him. I need Him to live, to breathe, to get through my day. And when I try to do anything on my own strength, it always ends bad. I need my Jesus.

I was heavily saddened for those I know that don't know Jesus to be their Savior. Saddened because of the consequences of that, and also because of what they're missing out on living their lives with Him as Lord of their lives, as their best friend, as the One they can always turn to.

And I felt challenged to be more bold for Him. Not to shy away from saying things that have to do with God. Not that I want to be some wierdo or someone that no one wants to be around because all I talk about is Jesus. But there are times when His name comes up- He's a huge part of my life. And then when I do say his name, not to be worried about whether it will be taken well or not. Or that what I say won't come out right, or it will sound judgmental or something. I think I'm the biggest hurdle to overcome when it comes to being more bold for Jesus. My thoughts and fears about what if I get rejected? Well, even if I do, it shouldn't matter. I'm even doing it right now because I know there are people who read this that don't know Jesus, and I'm worried that they'll not want to talk to me or I don't want to make them uncomfortable. Why do I worry about that? Choosing Christ is to choose life. That's the truth, and I shouldn't be afraid to live it out. Anyways, enough about all that.

It was just quite a week- being reminded of what's really important. It's not the stuff that I let cloud my mind- little things I worry about or want or whatever. It's having a relationship with Jesus, loving others, and being loved. That's it- it's so simple! Why do I complicate it?

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh wow. You are so right- on all of it! Why do we complicate things.... Hang in there friend :)