Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Shepherd Family Circus

Oh my stomach hurts from laughing so hard.... I have to share why...

So I was woken up this morning at 7am to Dane at my bedside, naked, telling me he had poop on his legs... hmm. Okay, so I'm up quickly, to say the least. He had pooped in his pull up, and when he woke up, decided to try and take care of it himself. I tried to lead him back to his bathroom, and as I'm walking back, my eye catches a brown spot on the carpet. Gross. Is that what I think it is? I stop him. "Dane, do you have poop on your foot?" I lift up his foot- sure enough. How did that happen? Well, the answer to wierd questions like that can always be, he's 2. So I lift him up by the waist and carry him to the bathroom to find a poopy mess. He tried, I'll give him that. Trying to be a big boy and take care of himself. Wow. So it's one of those where I have to take a deep breath and just push through it. It has to be done, Zach was not home, so there's no one else but me. Here goes. I clean him up, spot clean the floor, clean the bathtub.

We get to the kitchen for breakfast. In the meantime, Dane had gotten on his car boots. So he's naked, with total bed head, and has his car boots on. He really wants a snack for breakfast- we go through this a lot because they don't understand the difference between naptime and bedtime. So they think after bedtime it's snack time and vice versa. So I'm telling him it's breakfast time, and he threw a total fit. But it was hard for me to do anything but smile because he's naked with his boots on, stomping and jumping around. Too funny. I wish I could've snuck the video camera in to capture that moment.

Then this last incident was too funny. After breakfast, I was writing on our white board (we just got a white board for our kitchen for Zach and I to put to do lists on, and keep organized- pretty cool for us becase we've been feeling so unorganized and I'm totally overwhelmed with what is my responsibility and stuff like that). So anyways I'm writing on it, and Dane climbs up on a chair to try and get a marker to write too. Zach walks over to explain to him that he's not ever to write on this board. Here's the conversation that took place,
Zach: "Dane, let me tell you something. (pointing to the markers) "This is a no no, okay? This is a no no."
Dane: "Dad, can you give me a no no please?"
How awesome is that? I love it. Even when times can feel totally chaotic and overwhelming, there is so much room for laughter! It's awesome. Have a great day!

2 comments:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

That's so funny about the naptime/nighttime confusion. I don't remember Ryan going through that, but Kaylin TOTALLY is right now. Before naps today, she almost had a meltdown because I wouldn't give her a bath and yesterday she begged for her PJs at naptime, totally confused and furious with me. I guess that means they like their routines, right?

The African Groggs said...

dude, jon has a big ol white board hanging on his side of the bed :) but i'm the one who is not allowed to touch it :)